MS Music is a course that provides a great foundation for students interested in music through the elements of, performing, composing and listening.
All middle school students in Grade 7 and 8 are welcome to join this course - students who play an instrument or enjoy singing are encouraged to join. If you play an instrument please bring it to school for lessons each week.
MS Music will engage IICS students in:
- Performance and Musicianship
- On the way: Elements of Music
- Chords and Rock n Roll
- Voices and Instruments
In MS Music students will:
Performance and Musicianship
- what makes a good performance?
- how can we develop skills as performers?
- perform in small groups and in our MS Music class ensemble
- perform with our class ensemble at the Arts Showcase and in class
- perform in small ensembles in class
- engage with musicianship and music theory concepts and learn music notation
On the way: Elements of Music
- what are the elements of music?
- how do elements affect a piece?
- understanding music notation and how it helps us as musicians
- identifying musical elements in recorded music
Chords in Popular Music
- what are chords?
- how can I play a chord?
- what is the role of chords in popular music?
- what is a chord progression?
- are there popular songs or any music that doesn't have chords?
- performing chord progressions from popular songs including student choices
- composing a chord progression
- developing chords into songs or longer pieces
Voices and Instruments
- what are the main performing resources used in vocal and instrumental ensembles in western popular music, western classical music, electronic music and non-western music
- how can we learn to identify voices and the difference between them?
- what are the instruments of an orchestra?
- what are the instruments of a typical rock band and jazz ensemble?
- what instruments are found in the major continents of africa, europe, asia and the americas?